UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Articles

Originally published on Wednesday, 16th April 2008

Emma does

Emma Does the Gyrotonics

I didn't know much about Gyrotonics before I started. Actually, I forgot all about the fact that I had the class until about 20 minutes before it was meant to start. Hence, a mad dash in a black cab - my chariot of choice - to the Kinesis Studios and a gasping entry through the doors.

Melissa, a Gyrotonics expert, was teaching me today. She walked me over to the impressive, but oppressive, machines and explained the basics. Essentially, Gyrotonics is a movement exercise, similar to Pilates, but slightly more fluid in some ways.

It took me a bit - fine, quite a bit - of time to get it down. Okay, truth, Melissa had to eventually sit behind me and actually guide me physically through the whole process. The fact that, in my 30s, I still don't know my left from my right, certainly didn't help.

Nor did the fact that I'm probably the least graceful person on earth. But towards the end of the hour, I finally felt like I was getting the hang of it.

And better still, I left with the feeling that my whole body had been somehow stretched, realigned and put back together in a much healthier way. The next day, I felt fantastic.

I could get used to this.

Kinesis Studios
105-109 Lancaster Road,
London W11 1QF

by EC

Back to homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram